Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS Voicemail systems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pshull

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2004
US
Hi,

I just recently purchased a partner ACS R6.0 with an 308EC module. I have the 5 card carrier as well. I work in small office with about 12 people in it at any given time. What are my options for voicemail? Money is DEFINATELY an issue - the cheaper the better.

I am looking for essentially basic voicemail features. I need a good bit of storage for each user so that large PC v-mail card seems to be out. I know that there are tons of VM cards (new or refurbished) that work with these systems. I am not necesarily against purchasing refurbished equipment if the price is right.

I don't really need more than about 20 mailboxes and say 4-5 hours of VM storage. I also need an automated attendant. I am not certain how the ports work either. If you buy a 2 port card does that mean only 2 people can be on the voice mail. (As in 1 outside caller leaving a message and 1 internal office worker checking his voicemail?) What happens if a second outside caller dials in? We have about 4 incoming lines.

Look at your call volume. How long are those lines all busy? Is the Auto Attendant going to be picking up all calls first? A partner mail VS R5 has the capacity of 2x40, but you can expand it to a 4x40 as well. And has max storage of 100 hours. R4 maxes out at 17 hours but you can get it up to 40 mailboxes.

If a third caller calls into the system and both ports (assuming a 2 port system) are busy, the call will ring until picked up or a port becomes available.

OK, I think I need the four port configuration. Will this system definately work with my brand new Partner ACS 6.0 with 308EC? How much does this device cost and where can I find one? Are there any real differences between this model you describe and the new Voicemail R7 I have read about?

Based on that website I found the Partner R5. Is the R5 a good system for general voicemail usage? I am not really interested in incredibly advanced features.

Also, I noticed that it can be bought in a 2 port or 4 port system. With all the voicemail systems I have seen so far R6, R7 it looks like you buy the unit and then buy one of the 2,4,6 port license PC Cards. Do you have to buy one of those PC Cards for this R5 system as well?

Thanks in advance.

If you want the 4 port yes. If you want 2 port... technically, you should, it is a port liscense. BUT, it will work as a 2 port without it.

Hi pshull,
The PC card also works as a program backup. The unit will work as a two port without it. I bet you will want the 4 port option. Especially using it as an autoattendant as well.
Good choice overall.
-Chris

I am still kind of confused.

Furball, when I went to that website I noticed this option

If you scroll to the bottom it says 4 port - $875. Do I have to buy anything else to have a 4 port voicemail system? I.E. do I need to buy a 4 port license card like these one here:

2 Port: 4 Port: 6 port:
Thanks again for the help!!

pshull,

Dont get the VS mail confused with the Partner Messaging.... Messaging takes a port licence card 2/4/6 No matter what, the unit will stay in a test mode till one is installed....
The R5 VS mail, is a good all-round voice mail... It will function as a 2 port voice mail without a licence card, but you dont have a backup for the "Programming" of the Voicemail, like selector codes, Line ownership, off site notification, ETC...
The Backup card WILL NOT save your messages.... So if you lose the unit to a disaster, you can swap the card to the new unit and only have to reprogram Greetings (Auto-attendant/personnel).
Hope this helps a little...

Jason

Hi Jason,
The VS-5 PC card will back up the attendant greetings, it will not save messages. The Messaging R1, R6 and R7 gives you the option to back up everything, including personal messages on another computer on the network.
-Chris

Chris,
DOH! I knew that, Least if it was a Monday Id have an excuse... (Grin)

Jason

So, Let me get this straight... There are 3 different options for voicemail.

Partner Messaging which is the R1, R6 and R7. (The R7 is the latest) and all of these require the purchase of the module AND a port license card in 2,4, or 6 configurations.

Partner VS 5 which comes as either a 2 port or 4 port config. It does 48 mailboxes with 100 hours of storage.

Partner PC Cards which are essentially too small for my company.

Did I get that right? if so, I think the Partner VS 5 is the best option for us. Any reason why I shouldn't get a VS 5?

You have it right, The VS5 more then likely will be used or refurbed unless you luck out and find a new one, The Message 1-7 have many more features and are newer.

A trusted source for years.

Pshull

Yes it sounds like the PCMAIL will be too small for your needs...

Keep in mind the VSMAIL is outdated and any module you get will be refurbished... I would steer clear of this model..

The R7..is still fairly new....however there have been issues in some batches....But it has been pretty much cleared up now...( hard drive issues) I would think twice about buying from a vendor as mentioned above, you can find equipment from a authorized or new only dealer at a more competitive rate.

Hi pshull,
Go ahead and pick up a VS-5. They aren't that old. Go for 4 ports because you will need the extra two.

-Chris

I just spoke to the dealer that I purchased my Partner ACS 6 from and she said that the Partner VS wasn't very good. Is this true? Is there a reliable vendor where I can purchase this unit from if you guys feel it is still a good machine?

I haven't had any problems with them as like Chris said they aren't that old. Did you check out the links above to metrolinedirect? I think they even give you a warranty.

A trusted source for years.

Metro line doesn't have any more of the Partner VS 5 they only have the 4.1. Do you know of any other reliable vendors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back