Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS - Unknown Modem Answering

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirkenVogt

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
I have a Partner ACS v5 with a Partner Messaging R1. I have one voice line that is set to no group call distribution so presumably it should just ring and ring which is what I want. However some data device picks up after about 6-7 rings. When this happens the red light on a system phone goes out. It also does not sound like a normal modem, it is a different pitch of tone than I can recall and at the end of the tone there is about a 300 baud "chirp". Then there is silence and this repeats a couple times. Can anyone explain what is happening?

Birken

sounds like the alarm panel is connected to that number!

There is a very strong possibility that cwc3 is correct, I always forget about the Alarms, but you most defiantly have something sharing the line

A trusted source for years.

yeah and they usually pick up after 6 rings

You are absolutely right, the alarm panel is connected to that line. I never even thought of it. Thanks for the help...

Now why is it answering, it would seem it should not need to, considering that line and its other line were both on voice mail before and so the alarm never got a chance to answer. Is there a reason it should stay this way, or can I set it to not answer?

Birken

the panel is on a rj 45c which means it is actually wired ahead of your key equipment and it most likely is set up so
your monitoring company can dial in and poll the system!!
so i guess you can call your alarm company and tell them
to dial in and shut the auto answer function off or if you
have the book forthe panel you should be able to figuir it out.

OK, I set the alarm panel to not answer at all. The alarm company could not have polled the system before anyway because the voice mail system always picked up on the third ring anyway. Now that I have dropped the VM from that line, that is when the problem became apparent. But changing it was easy because the information was right on the internet...It is a Detection Systems 9400 panel FWIW.

Thanks so much for the speedy response.

Birken

thats right you would not have noticed because the
vm was picking up way befor the alarm system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back