Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS Rel 8? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDiver

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2003
US
Hello everyone!

I have a ACS Rel 5 that is having problems, going to purchase a new ACS, and maybe have the Rel 5 repaired for a spare.

I remember when Rel 7 was rolled out, and there a "few" problems. So I am wondering if I should purchase a Rel 7 or Rel 8. Has anyone had a problems with Rel 8? If you were purchasing a new ACS, would you purchase a Rel 7 or 8 or ?

If I purchase a 7, it will replace the Rel 5. This system has a Partner Mail VS Rel 1. I need to read up on the compatability between 7 and Mail VS Rel 1. Are there any problems with this configuration?

Jeff

The brand new R8 processor and the final release of the R7 processor have been behaving themselves. Which one to buy boils down to features (the ones you need vs. the ones you don't).

If you use the PMVS R1 voicemail, the DND feature will not work properly. Given the age of the voicemail (and the fact that Avaya no longer supports the PMVS R1), I would suggest upgrading to either the Partner Voice Messaging or the Avaya Partner Messaging (depending on your needs).

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Dexman wasn't it that any Partner Mail VS works wrong with the DND but they have a fix for the VS R5 but not for any older version? Something is dawning on me that way.
VS R1 must be older then my van and that is about the age of Methusalem. If you get a voice messaging (PC card) it can do more then the VS R1 and works. You have an auto attendant and up to 16 mailboxes with it AND it is cheaper then the Messaging.
Can't really remember the VS R1 any more that was way before my Avaya days and I only made small changes on it.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

That's right.

Avaya created a patch that can be applied to the PMVS R5 voicemail (but the procedure requires you to use an R6 processor) to resolve the DND problem.

The reason Avaya still supports the PMVS R5 is because there are tons of them still in use. However, when the time comes to replace one that is malfunctioning, an upgrade to the Avaya Partner Messaging is the path of choice.

Thanks everyone for all the information.

I found a ACS Rel 6 (someone on the board) that the price was way to good to pass up. I also picked up a Partner Messaging Rel 7 with four port at the same time.

I support four systems, and will shuffle the Messaging Rel 7 into another location, and move the Messaging Rel 1 from that location to the location where the ACS Rel 6 will go. But I could also swap a ACS Rel 7 to go with the Messaging Rel 1...OK, I will stop thinking out loud, sorry.

Now I have to figure out what the process is to swap the Messaging Rel 1 to a Rel 7.

Thanks again to everyone on this board!

Jeff

A couple of things to keep in mind when switching from the PMVS to the APM:

1) You will need to remove all of the existing ports assigned to Hunt Group #7 and assign the new ones that the APM will use.

2) The Admin mailbox is 99 on the PMVS. It is 0 on the APM.

Partner messaging also refers to mailboxes as extensions, there is no default assignment of mailbox to station; you have to add them all, and since it has a spell by name directory you need to add the names. It is a better voice mail, but a little different to program and definitely more time consuming...have fun!

BTW - with regard to R6,7,8 - what I like about 8 is the time clocking to caller ID (maybe the 'fixed' releases of R7 did that?, caller ID to single line extensions - I have a client using it on a Polycom and they love it - and the fact that you can use a button to tell you if another extension/mailbox has messages. This is great when you don't have a receptionist and someone else needs to check the general messages...at least great in theory... I haven't installed one yet working that way. These things could have easily been 'corrections' on an R7 patch, but just calling it R8 makes customers happy that the product is still forward-going. Sorry for the digression...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back