Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

partner acs R7 pin out wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2004
US
Hi all. I have an Avaya Parnte ACS R7 system that I am planning on connecting several telephone lines from the dmarc to the avaya module. It looks like the port on the module are rj45 jacks. Would someone please clarify how the wires for each of my line from the dmarc should be terminated and pinned on a rj45 jack so that it gets pick up correctly on the module? I searched through the forum and it seems there should be 2 pairs for each line from dmarc that needs to be pinned on rj45 head. Is this correct and what color should go to which pin on the rj45? Thanks in advance!

Although the jacks on a Partner are 8-pin, a regular 6-pin plug will fit in the jack.

The line ports are for a SINGLE line, so it will connect to the center 2 pins og whatever size plug you put in there.

I would suggest you terminate your lines on individual jacks, one line per jack, near the control unit, and use plain old telephone line cords to connect from those jacks to the line ports on the Partner.

Grab the manual from the Avaya support site, and you will find a section on the hardware, answering all your questions.

I think the telephone line jacks on the processor and on the 308EC are RJ-11s as opposed to RJ-45s. (If I'm wrong, chalk it up to "maturity" [lol])

Station jacks have 8 positions, but Partner desk sets need only 2 pairs to operate properly. Those pairs are positions 4&5 and 3&6 (The center pairs).

I have glanced through all the pdf docs for the Partner system from Avaya, but I didn't find the section on this. I was told by a Avaya rep that if I am terminating the incoming phone line from the dmarc, that the tipping goes to pins 4 and 5 (orange color) of a rj45 jack. My plan is to terminate each of my dmarc lines to a rj45 jack and plug that into the 5 incoming jacks of the main module. And then from the main module, I will connect rj45 cables to my switch onto my patch panel out to the phone on each desk. Does this make sense?

Yup, that will work.

If you have spare ports on your patch panel, you could put your indivudual dial tones on those, just for convenience in patching.

BTW, pins 4&5 on an "RJ-45" 8-pin plug would be the BLUE pair, not the orange.

I have glanced through all the pdf docs for the Partner system from Avaya, but I didn't find the section on this.

I really don't know why you are having a problem with this. There is no information because its a no brainer. If you had a wall jack that works with a standard single line phone plugged into it and you disconnected the cord from the phone and plugged it into a ACS line port you will have dial tone on that line. That's all it takes so figure it out with that in mind.

The 8 pin jacks mean nothing. The extension ports are 8 pin for backward compatibility with old Merlin 4 pair wiring when it was upgraded to a Partner. Regular 6 position/4 pin plugs are what is used for new installs. Only one pair is used on the CO ports and 2 pair for the extensions.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back