Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner ACS R6.0 "Holding" Lines 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreabac

Programmer
Sep 21, 2004
Okay, this one is perplexing me!! My client has a Partner ACS R6.0. (We ugraded it to an R6.0 several weeks ago from an R3.0 without a problem). *Before* the upgrade, the Parnter ACS would take lines off-hook and hold them. This problem began occurring on line 4, then transferred to 3, and now line 1. Customer only has 5 lines on ACS. Today, lines 3 & 4 were simultaneously "off-hook" for five minutes; it cleared up on its own. The lines can remain "dead" for as little as 15 minutes to 1/2 a day. I called the CLEC; their phone lines ARE run through a router before entering the Partner ACS. When my technician powered the ACS off then on, it cleared up the "off hook" line. Could the CLEC's router "hold" the lines or is the processor bad? CLEC is sending their technician out again. CLEC did state could possibly be a router issue and needs to be replaced. Sure hope its not the processor.

Oh, forgot to add.. it's not voicemail outcalling or call forwarding.. no one in the office is on the phone when this occurs.

Thanks a million for your help!

Andrea

The router could be causing the lines to lock up.

I don't know if the following applies to your situation, but when loop-start signaling is used in conjunction with a dedicated T1 circuit, fractional or otherwise, lines can get locked up if the originating party disconnects the call before it is answered or if the call is answered by an auto attendant. LECS and CLECS send some sort of a positive disconnect over POTS lines, but that's not always the case with the loop-start/T1 combo.

the Partner would take lines off hook and hold them

If the line LED is lit that can only mean the processor or a problem related to the system. There is nothing external that could cause the system to go off hook.

Too bad you upgraded that ACS. Should have realized that there was a problem with it.

-Hal

Unfortunately my company wasn't told by the owner or his receptionist about the problem until two weeks *after* the ACS upgrade. Just started working with this customer a month ago. I was careful to discuss if there were any problems beforehand.... So, looks like I am to replace the processor. Funny thing though, it stopped holding the lines the past few days.

You might want to set up an auto intercom button for EVERY extension port on the system (or use a DSS at Ext. 10 or 11). When the line holding somes up, check to see if any oddball ports are in use. It might reveal a bad port (that you could unassign all lines from), or some device like a modem, or a shorted IW causing the problem.

Worth a try, I've done that myself. If the line is put on hold it could be because of an intermittant T/R short on some extension I/W somewhere. You are going to have to be quick and patient though because when the port goes on hold (short goes away) it will be idle and the DSS button you set up will not be illuminated.

-Hal

TTT has a good idea. Also look for damp jacks or cut cable that might be wet / damp. This did exactly the same thing on a different system.
-Chris

That sort of thing usually results in a "ring trip" situation where a line rings, is picked up then dropped mysteriously all by itself. It happens because the high ring voltage causes enough current to flow through the resistance of the moisture or corrosion to cause the port to go off hook. When the first burst of ring voltage finishes the current drops and the circuit goes back on hook hanging up on the caller.

I troubleshoot this problem just as TTT suggests. I program a 34 button with a DSS button for every port. I then call in from my cell and watch which button lights during the first ring.

I kind of doubt that this is what you are seeing though. I've never seen it cause the extension to put a line on hold. If it were a T/R short, to put the line on hold the conductors would have to at least go short-open-short with the right timing. This would simulate picking up the extension then doing a hook flash.

Anythings possible. I've seen intermittent line problems caused by moisture actually dial 911, not once but TWICE! Cops show up and I say not on that line, nothing but hum and noise see for yourself. Hasn't been working for a week!

-Hal

Hi Hal,
Yup, just trying to say don't overlook anything and keep an open mind. My particular fault occured on an extension that didn't exist anymore. I found it by looking where it used to be. Advisor desk in a car dealership, damp location, wire near puddle. Shouldn't have happened, and normally didn't. I was lucky to be there that day. The extension blinked on the DSS and the line went on hold. Hummm.
A flakey phone would be my first guess here though. Walk around and look for the green blinking light.
-Chris

I had a similar problem with an ACS rel 3.0. It ended up being an extension tieing up the line even though it was not even connected to any cable. I unassigned all lines from that extension and the problem went away.

zEke.

As of today, the lines still haven't gone "off hook" on their own since the ACS processor was powered off then on. One thought did occur to me lately... the UPS is making a grinding noise. We've had several bad UPS-es which create havoc on ACS or Partner II processors. Anyone else experience this? I'm going to change out the UPS if the client calls again with the same problem.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback!

Happy Holidays,

Andrea

I dont htink I have ever had a "bad" ups what brand are you using ?

The client has a 6 year old Lucent 800VA UPS. I began purchasing CyberPower as opposed to the AVAYA branded UPS-es several years ago. Love CyberPower - no problems. What do you suggest?

Andrea

Mystery solved!!! I personally want to thank Touch Tone Tommy for his suggestion of placing a DSS/CA48 on Extension 10!

This morning my technician discovered an extension "grabbing dial tone" right away! The client and my tech found the culprit extension - ALAS - there was no phone attached! Someone had cut the phone cord and left one end plugged into the jack! The cable was getting wet/damp and "grabbing dialtone." My tech unplugged the cable and everything seems to be working fine for now!

When you think you have a "bad" processor, grab a DSS/CA48 and plug it into extension 10! WOW! Saved me and my company the cost of upgrading the processor!

Thank you TTT and everyone!

Andrea

Hi Andrea,
This fault is exactly the type that's hard to find. Good show. Now you look good to the customer.
-Chris

I had similar situation, and the keeping an open mind advice is always good. Imagine this, user picks up the ext., gets dial tone. Then pressed the DSS button for an internal ext to call it. The internal ext has remote call forward engaged. The RCF then conferences out the dial tone the user transferred by going off hook to a line and pressing the DSS key. It doesnt release the two lines involved in the RCF.
Re training the user fixed the problem. This was an issue for multiple calls, before I asked the customer to show me exactly what they were doing before it happened. Never assume the problem is anything, until you eliminate user error as a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back