Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwweiland

Programmer
Oct 15, 2003
US
I have just installed Server 2008 r2. I did not see a place to partition the hard drives before installation. Is there a partition managing software to do this safely? I want a partition for file storage.

Thanks,

You should be able to use Disk Management to resize the disk now.

Start->Right Click on Computer->Manage->Storage->Disk Management

Click on the HD (I assume C:) and shrink it. Then you will have unallocated disk space and you can create a new partition.

But to answer your question, yes, there should be a place where you can do that on the initial install.

Regards,

J

When you are installing the OS there is a screen where it lets you select the disk where the OS is to be installed. If you highlight the disk and click "Next" then it will install on that disk. But when you highlight the disk and do not click "Next" there is another button that becomes available (disk management, disk utility, or something similar) that allows you to partition the disk.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Thanks, I had reinstalled the OS and partitioned it how I needed. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back