Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partitioning problem with PM8 on WinXP home

Status
Not open for further replies.

123456programmer

Programmer
Aug 3, 2003
AU
i have got alaptop computer with windows xp home edition (in japanese). with partition magic 8 i tried to make a new partition on its hdd which is made under the NTFS system. But nothing worked out. i went on their support page i did a chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f but both didn't resolve any problem...
Does anyone out there had the same problem?
thanks in advance

Best to use PMagic floppies if u can less complications the better

Did you try to reduce the size of the existing partition first? (Because you won't be able to create a new partition until there is some free space to create it in)

Partition Magic 8 should do that automatically. yeah i resolved that problem by using "partition manager"
thanks for your help anyway.

so please tell me about "partition manager". i have WIN XP Pro and am wanting to resize/add partitions.
THANKS!
scott

well, i'm not familiar with partition manager. what is it? a stand alone 3rd party app?

my bad. i meant partition commander when i said partition manager.
partition commander worked great even with microsoft windows xp.
if you have win xp then you maybe should avoid using/bying partition magic. it happened to many ppl to have a 1513 error when trying to make a partition with partition magic on a win xp.
have a look at:

thanks everyone! what i'm gathering is that even XP pro doesn't have any hidden or built in tools for doing the job, at least not very well. you've all been a great help!

and while we're on the partioning subject... what are the reasons everyone has repartioned a drive? dual boot? my reason is to separate file systems and also give the XP temp folders and swap file it's own space to freely fragment and corrupt, leaving my apps alone.

thanks again!
scott

i got many reasons.
1 - dual boot
2 - i think it s safer to have one partition for windows and one other for all other things.
3 - i have one partition on which there are all my web-server documents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back