Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partitioning Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezdread

Technical User
Oct 23, 2000
GB
Hi is there any free software that I can get to partition a HD? Or how can I do it without FDISK?

Have you tried Partition Magic. I just used it on a W2K Pro Workstation and it worked beautifully. Not free, but a good tool none-the-less.

That's what I tried first and it suggested I download a Demo of VolumeManager which I did and it looks and works very similar to Partition Magic.

There must be more than ne way? I will keep looking :eek:)

And what's wrong with Partition Magic? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Partition Magic 6 which is what I use for my workstations does not work on the Server, and how can I run FDISK? When I tpye it in the DOS Console I get a message saying that it is and unrecognised command?

Has anyone used FDISK or Partition Magic on Windows 2000 Server? if so please explain how.

Thank you
Tezdread

Best way to Fdisk is to boot PC from floppy Bootable disk in drive a,
1) select not to load CD,
2)at a:\(prompt type) fdisk.

First off, have you ever used fdisk before? try this URL: if not, I don't remember the URL, hopefully someone can give it to
you. It has a good indept explination for setting up partions on a HD.

There is also a tool available for servers, called Server Magic, maybe you could give that one a try also.

Another way is install (clean) W2KPro in different directory, install PQ Magic and start it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back