Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partitioning Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

estam

Technical User
Mar 25, 2005
US
Dell laptop (C500) with 30 gig hard drive.

Using winxp pro have been trying to set up 3x10 gig partitions and am ready to shoot myself :)

Is there a tutorial to explain a procedure or is there a program I can run to do this. I would like to simply make 3 equal partitions formatted with NTFS and install winxp pro on each.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave...

Partitioning A Blank Hard Drive During XP Installation

How to partition and format a hard disk by using Windows XP Setup program

The Right Way To Install Windows XP

once done, rinse and repeat, if it asks you to REPAIR the installation, say NO...

it should then pop up with the partitions once again, there choose the second (or third) partition, each install will add an entry in the BOOT.INI file...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks for your help, I have now partitioned my hard drive into three partitions. Two with xp and the third I will install a linux o/s.

My question is when starting xp and checking "my computer" I notice the both directory's (C: & E:) and can drag files from one to the other.

I share my computer with another family member and don't particular want to share my files with them. Is there a way to partition a hard drive so the different partitions are not accessible to one another?

I use Master Booter as a boot manager for the four partitions on one of my rigs. There is a free version of this software, although I have paid the (small) amount to use the full version. There is a facility within it to hide partitions from the 'active' one, although I have never tried to do this.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Micrsoft offers TweakUI. Amogs its many features is the option to hide a partition or drive.

Download and install Tweakui:
You'll have to do this from within the Os you want to hide the drive in.

Run TweakUI, and go own to the My Computer Option in the tree menu. Expand it and then click on drives.

A list of Drive letters should appear on the right. Un-check the one you wan to hide, and the click on Apply.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back