Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partitioning a drive for VSS and the 16KB issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

primate

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
GB
Hi,

This is really several questions in one, so if you can help with any of the issues, please jump in :)

I've been going through an upgrade process to Windows Server 2003.

Traditionally I've had one data volume formatted with the default cluster size on most of my file servers which was fine for their role. I've now started using VSS on a couple of servers.

Despite this not being mentioned in the Win2K3 MCSA upgrade text from MS Press (grrrrr) it now appears I can't defrag these volumes because of the "<16KB cluster size" limit with VSS unless I want to lose all my shadow copies.

What has people's experience been with this? How have you coped with it?

Ideally I would prefer to have the shadow copies themselves on a different volume anyway. Has anyone used any partitioning tools on their servers? I have never needed to partition a server post setup and it makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable to do this - have people used a good utility for this?

At the moment my plan is to do the following - 1) on servers with multiple partitions, move the data around and reformat the drives with a larger cluster size, then move the data back. 2) On servers with a single partition delete the partitions and re-create with two partitions, one being a small size for the shadow copies, then restore the data from backup.

It would seem better if I can avoid having to restore from backup so a partitioning tool might be a good idea, or would it be best just to bite the bullet and restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back