Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partitioning a 30GB HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

xceler8

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
I just got a 30 Gig hard disk today and I need to fdisk and format it to install Win98SE. I'm not a fdisk expert by any means, but I have installed Windows on smaller drives. But with this 30 Gigs the system only recognizes 4Gigs when I go to make a primary partition. How do I go about partitioning this drive to get the full 30 Gigs out of it?
Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Either your BIOS is not capable of reading a disk that size or the size it is reporting is incorrect. The best thing to do is use the software that comes with the drive to trick your BIOS into reading the entire drive.

I would imagine your bios does not see anything above 4gb have you tryed a bios update.
Or buy a Promise controller which will read the drive correctly and run it at a faster speed.

Nick
MCP A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back