Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacecodotnet

Programmer
May 17, 2004
US
I have a laptop on which I would like to make a second partion. I want both partitions to be windows. However, the current single partition takes up the entire hard drive, and when I try to make it smaller it won't let me. How can I make the default partition smaller so that I have room to create a new one?

Peace out,
Peace Co.

Usually for resizing partitions, you'll want to use 3rd-party software like Partition Magic. You can shrink the primary partition, and then format and add a new one with the remaining space.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

There are many third party programs able to resize a partition but it is a high risk operation and they probably all advise saving any valuable data first.

BootIt NG is a partition and multiboot manager with a powerful and simple-to-use set of tools for partitioning, imaging, resizing and multi-booting your computer.

Cool! This is just what I needed. Thanks a lot.

Peace out,
Peace Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back