Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

partition recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgetty

Programmer
Apr 14, 2005
US
Ok I was meaning to change the file system on my 160 Gig usb drive using cfdisk. I tried it earlier in the day but for some reason it didn’t stick.

So in the after noon I booted up my windows pc with a live version of linux to try it again. I ran cfdisk looking at /dev/hda1. I got distracted by a phone call. When I came back I deleted /dev/hda1 thinking I was working on the 160 gig usb drive. As the partition was being written to the disk it dawned on me, what I had just done. CRAP!!!

At that point I shut every thing down and am now considering my options (if there are any).

Is there a way to recover from this???
Thanks
Clark

FYI
I also posted this same problem at LinuxQuestions.org

this was the responce I got back the same day by this guy syg00
-----------------------------------------------
(c)fdisk should probably fix it - it's simply a matter getting the partition size(s) right in the partition table if no data has been over-written.

Better option would be testdisk - do a search for it here on LQ; gets good reports from those that have needed it.
------------------------------------------------
It worked, I recovered everything, just like it nevered happened.
So Cool
cgetty

Hi cgetty,

My PC windows xp partion drive corrupted over the weekend. I have about 50GB of data that i would like to recover. Would testdisk be able to help since you use it before.

The reason why its currupted, i don't know. Not virus for sure, as i have scan it with my updated anti virus software.

The partition(d:) was formatted as ntfs but when i loaded up, it said the d: drive is FAT32 and the drive is not regconise as windows file. After log into the windows, its performance was crawling. I tried all the trick i know to restore it but no luck. So i tried chkdsk -f, that fix the performance issue but all my data in d: drive is not accessible when i open the d drive. But the properties telling me that only 375MB is available out of my 60GB partition.

I need to recover that 50GB of lost data, anyone can help please?

Hi lemsip
Actually for me it was dumb luck. This is the first time it happened to me (deleting my partition).
When I trashed the partition I freaked out, shut the pc off & looked on the web for a solution. I was lucky to get a total recovery. When I ran test disk I just excepted the defaults and it worked.

I’m trying to wean myself from windows (to Linux). In the process I learned about Live Linux CDs.
A way to test Linux without installing Linux on your hard drive. You just install the CD and boot from it. Running an OS off a CD is a little slow but it’s a cool way to test the goods (Linux).

You can down load many flavors of Linux from here. And many are live CDs.

Another tool in my tool box is a USB drive. I’ve gone usb drive mad! I have about six of them ranging from 40 gig to 200 gig. Currently I’m trying to learn how to back up & restore XP using Linux. To learn more about my what I’m trying to do view my post here.

Before you run testdisk I think I would boot up a live Linux distro and if you are able to see the partition copy the files to the usb drive. Not sure if after running testdisk you cross a line of no return. At least using the Linux way you don’t disturb or make things worse.

I don’t know if this helps, not sure if you have a usb drive. This is just the off the wall way I do things & so far Its worked for me
Clark

Hi Clark,

Do you know where i can get a copy of that Live Linux iso file?

I do have USB drive, they come in so handy this days.

Thanks,

Lemsip

Hi lemsip
Linux takes a little getting use to, I'm determed to learn it!!

I'm still a GUI guy knoppix & Auditor use a desktop called KDE. It is close to a windows
interface, easier for me to get work done.

Here are some of my flavors I like

< Known for finding most hardware

< "Auditor" Security exploits, good for learning

< re size your XP partition while you Cruz the web.

< Very fast can load in to ram

< found my wireless card

< Fast & small

< look like win 95 fast & Small

Clark
cgetty@ci.azusa.ca.us
sgetty.ath.cx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back