Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition not showing up in Defrag 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshurst

Programmer
Oct 27, 2004
US
Recently I ran CHKDSK on a drive partition (D:). This is on a laptop where I have a C: (OS) and D: (DATA) partition. It is a single disk that just has the 2 partitions. When I ran the CHKDSK utility I forced a dismount of the D: drive and now it won't show up in the Defrag utility.

It shows up under "Computer" and I can access the disk just fine. It also looks fine under Disk Management. Does anyone know how I can get it back in the Defrag utility?

Thanks,

J

Is it the built-in Windows Defrag or some third party program?

The hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software that is bootable, or that may even run from within Windows, that will thoroughly check the condition of your hard drive.

Dismount for chkdsk, diff HDD, E: drive missing

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7)

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

I forced a CHKDSK at the next reboot (had to do this via command line) and it is finally showing up.

Thanks for the info though.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad it is now working for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back