Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition new slave 120 gig drive with NFTS using Win xp ppo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaGuy

Technical User
Dec 22, 2003
GB
Please could you explain how i should set up three partitions on a new formatted slave harddrive.I have used NFTS to format the drive.My O/S is Win XP Pro

Easiest way would be with Partition Magic
You can set what size's you want them to be with no problems and even change them later if you want without loosing data on them

Do you mean i should use Partition Magic 8.0? as the version i own version 7.0 only supports 80 gig hard drives.I was hoping that i could use the disk manager within admin tools.However i would need walking through this.

What exactly are you trying to do?

If the drive is 'new formatted', then it must already be partitioned.

If you are trying to change the existing partitions, just delete the partitions & set new ones however you'd like (this is assuming there's no data in these partitions which there won't be if you just formatted).

If the drive is new and does not have any partitions (and you want to create some) we can help with that, but you could not have formatted it.

Agree with Smah - you say you need walking through disk manager:-

Once you have it open, right click on the partition and select delete from the context menu.

Now create a new partition like you did before - but don't use the whole drive - just type in the size you want. Repeat for the other 2 (you also have 2 options here - you can create all primary partitions - my preference - or you can create an extended partition and then 2 logical drives within the partition).

thanks to both WOLLUF& SMAH i now know how to set up the three partitions i mentioned on slave drive.I would like to ask for further assistance.Please could you tell me how to set up my Primary drive which is also 120gig with two partitions.I would like one for my operating system win xp pro and programes of 20 gig and the second of 100 gig for dvd work. Having formated this drive with NFTS,evry time i try to install win xp pro it wont allow me to change the partition size of 117232 mb.The instruction tells me the min allocation is 8 mb and max allocation is 117232.However the max allocation is already entered in box and i cannot alter or deleat this number,as it appears to be fixed.Sorry to drone on,but help is needed to bring me up to speed with what to do next.

First - You're clean installing XP, right????? Because if there's anything on that drive that you need to keep, it had better be backed up.

Like with the slave drive, there's probably already a partition on the drive that uses all the available space. XP can not resize partitons (like Partition Magic can). XP can only delete & create partitions. So, during the XP install, you need to delete the existing full-space partion and create 2 new ones. See How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP

Again.... if you used xp's disk management to partition & format your slave drive, I assume that you have xp installed. If you use xp's setup to delete & repartition your master drive (where xp currently is) you will lose everything there. Be sure you have anything important backed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back