Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition Magic & Drive Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogEh

Technical User
Jun 30, 2002
US
see my other post re loss of free space - these two issues may be related.

Using Win2K NTSF, 20 GB drive, Drive C = 5 GB, Drive D = 15 GB

In attempting to shift space from my D drive to the C drive, I have attempted to use Partition Magic 6.0. I am running into two problems:

1) on booting from a Win 98 startup disk and then loading PM, I receive a message warning about the 1024 cylinder limitation. I am surprised to receive such a warning since Win2K allows for large disks and partitions.

2) when bypassing this message and attempting to resize the C Drive (after already successfully shrinking the D Drive), the PM software freezes the computer during the process. Luckily, a reboot proves nothing has been lost.

Questions:

1) any ideas on the above two problems ?

2) was thinking of using something like Drive Image or Norton Ghost to copy over the C Drive, then FDisk the C Drive to the desired partition size and then restore contents. However, on CNET, the feedback for products like DriveImage are horrible. Any thoughts about how to handle this problem ?

Make sure your using the latest version of Partition Magic. It sounds more like your version cannot read NTFS 5.0 properly.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back