Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM33

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2001
US
Hello,
I have just built a PC with a 40 GIG HD. I forgot to partition and format the HD prior to loading Windows 98 so when I loaded Win98 it only created a 2 gig FAT 16 partition.

I converted it to FAT 32 using the 98 convertion app. Now when I attempt to create other FAT 32 partitions using Partition Magic I cannot create a FAT 32 partition over 2 gig.

-Does anyone know hy this is happening?
-What can I do to fix it without wipping the whole hard drive?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
MM

Try this:

remove all partitions except the primary DOS partition (the one with windows on it).
Reboot the machine using a win98 boot disk (it must have FDISK.EXE on it, which you will find in C:WINDOWS.COMMAND (I can't get backslash on this stupid WinTerm)).
When the machine is fully booted, run FDISK. It will display a full page of text stating that "this HDD supports sizes larger that 512MB..... Do you want to enable Large disk support Y/N".
hit the Y key and then proceed to create an extended DOS partition and a logical drive in the extented partition. Use the full amount available to you (this should be the rest of your drive ie. 40GB-2047MB)

Now when you should be able to create large partitions (I think, but I could be wrong. let me know either way).
sharper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back