Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition creation in XP with a single disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabedin

Programmer
Feb 24, 2004
AU
Hi there,
I am running XP. I have a big disk. I want to create a partition. Diskpart can't create it. Some how it showing 0 free space.

Can someone help me please.

You would need to backup all of your data and reinstall XP and create your partitions from setup or get a 3rd party partitioning tool. Partition Magic is a very popular program for doing this. You may also be able to find a free one if you do a little searching. The ability to resize a volume or partition was included in Vista.

- Resizing An Existing Partition On A Single Hard Drive

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Be careful using Partition Magic on Sata drives. I lost all datas on two occasions. So I even erased any traces of PM from my hard drives. It seems to work ok on IDE drives but Sata??? leaves a big question mark. I pointed this out to the PM people in an e-mail but never got any response from them.

Regards

Jurgen

Thanks Joey and Jurgen. I will try to find some software.
I will let you know with the outcome.

Regards
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back