Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partial T-1 - DID sending Faxes to an analog station port

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmiggity

Programmer
Jul 19, 2011
US
I have a customer who had a NEC NEAX2000 IVS system that has a Partial T-1 with 60 DID #s being routed into the system. The NEC is failing and they have a plan to go to a VOIP system next year. As a semi-temporary solution for the failing NEC we installed an old MICS they had in storage. The MICS is running the 4.0 software. We have connected the T-1 to the MICS through a NT7B4GA-93 DTI card and installed a NTBB51CA-93 Analog Station Module Card for the Analog devices (2 fax machines, 1 modem). We have got the T-1 up and working and I am able to make voice calls to the stations but when we try to send a fax in, the line goes to dead air as soon as it hears the fax tone. I am at a loss as to why we cant send a fax but we are able to talk across the same extension with no issues.

Here is the T-1 info I have from the LEC:
6 DID Trunks
Switch Type: 5ESS.
Protocol: None
PSTN (not ISDN).
Sending 4 digits
Wink Start
ESF
B8ZS

On the MICS
Card type: T-1
CO Fail: T1A-547A
I/F Level: PSTN
Framing: ESF
CSU: On
Line Coding: B8ZS
Clock: Primary

Under Lines
Trunk Type: DID
Line Type: Pool A
Dial Mode: Tone
Ans mode: Auto
Ans w DISA: Y
Signal: Winkstart

Anybody have any idea why I cant send a fax in through this system?

Is your issue receiving or sending or both?

4.0 (first release with PRI) was a bad software for PRI with issues.

Go into Sets/Capabilities and try shortening the ANS timer.
Also maybe make ATA use = Onsite since its ASM and not ATA

Try only one setting at a time and test.

"Ans w DISA: Y"
I am afraid to ask about that one.

Another GuRu will hopefully chime in.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Pretty sure you don't want auto answer or disa,(I believe the system will grab the call before it gets to the fax). It's been a while but I think you just need to assign the target line to the fax extension, appear and ring or ring only, only one appearance, set the prime extension of the target line to the fax extension, then test.

I tried a few different options and I still wasnt able to get fax to pass over this T-1. This T-1 was originally attached to the NEC system with the DIDs to serve a corporate office and a store. A long time ago they installed a new system for the corporate offices with the new phone numbers and left the NEC system in place at the store with the DIDs still assigned. The store really wasnt using any of the DIDs with the exception of 2 fax machines (yes they had a T-1 with 60 DIDs assigned that was only being used for 2 fax machines). The rest of the numbers at the store are POTS. It was decided that they are going to port the 2 DIDs over to POTS lines and get rid of this T-1 (which should have happened years ago).

As a temp solution we have reconnected the T-1 to the old NEC so they can receive faxes. We then ran a separate analog line off of the MICS to each of the Fax machines so they can fax out. When they fax out they just have to move the line cord over to the other jack.

We pretty much gave up on this. We were wasting too much time and effort trying to get something to work that is going to be going away in about a month.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and help.I really wish we found a solution just to satisfy my curiosity but unfortunately we just dont have the time to keep messing with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back