Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partial network access???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all, my General Manager had an issue where he could get onto our public share (Server 2k3 R2) but he could only see about half of the folders and just a few files. He left for a meeting and when I went in to take a look at the laptop the files and folders were all there again. At first I thought he may have been looking in the wrong location but he was looking in the right place. Apparently this has happened a few times before and he thought it might just be him. Now he wants me to fix it. Have any of you had issues where one of your users could only access a few files and folders on a network share? FWIW I double-checked file/folder permissions and he should have full access. ANY help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe B

Oh yeah, I checked the logs on the server and the laptop and there were no problems.

Thanks,

Joe B

What OS is the laptop? Have you tried unmapping and remapping the network drive? Do you have automatic updates running on the laptop? Could a service pack have been installed recently?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

DrB0b, OS is XP Pro SP3, all network drives are remapped on bootup through a login script, updates are handled through our Shavlik software and the Service Pack was installed quite a while ago. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe B

linney, there are no settings configured under Group Policy/.../Logon. I hadn't thought to check the server forums since this problem is specific to his laptop. I also didn't want to cross-post due to getting flamed because of that in times past. I'll check those threads.

BadBigBen, this is an infrequent but recurring issue. He does have access to the folders and files, but every now and then "some" of them disappear.

One more thing; I checked the event log and nothing was in there either.

Thanks,

Joe B

JBruyet,

Cross-posting is fine, as long as you make reference to the other thread in both places. This way, people who may help in the server forum can read the information contained here, and vice-versa.

To create a link to a thread, paste the thread number found at the top (under the subject of the thread), that looks like this: thread000-000000. The TGML parser turns it into a hyperlink automatically.

Oh, thanks guitarzan!

Thanks,

Joe B

Does it make any difference if you set it to "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"?

Linney, it can't hurt. I'll try it and then we'll wait and see.

Thanks,

Joe B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back