Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

partial backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

moorerichard49

Programmer
Jul 25, 2015
UA
I use sql server and have a large database. Can i make a partial backup? If can, how to do this?

You can't backup the individual files. But you can create a file backup instead. The one advantage of using filegroup backups over file backups is that you can create a Read-Only filegroup which means the data will not change. So instead of backing up the entire database all of the time you can just backup the Read-Write filegroups. A filegroup backup can be completed either using T-SQL or by using SSMS.
Or you can consider about differential backups of the files. Doing this would give you smaller file size for backups.

(Not complaining; I just want to see folks get answers from the right area, and there have been a fair number posted here recently.)

This question would be better posted in the Microsoft SQL Server: Setup and Administration forum.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back