Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part of screen frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinh

Technical User
Aug 9, 2002
US
I have windows 2000 professional installed on a workstation. Every once in a while the right part of the screen freezes and I cannot click on it. You can see the full wallpaper in the background but when you open up a program about 2 inches of the right side of the monitor shows the wallpaper. The program cannot expand to take up the whole monitor. If you try and click and drag an icon to the right side of the screen it disappears. I have restarted windows and it goes away temporarily but how can I make it go away for good.

I would say first narrow it down to the monitor itself or the video card by putting another monitor on the machine and see if the problem persists. If it does, then I'd guess it's the video card, if it doesn't, then it would indicate the monitor is going bad.

I've seen more monitors go flaky then video cards, so my initial guess is that the monitor is on its last legs.

so you think its a hardware issue. Ill try that. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back