Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parsing strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonaldB

Programmer
Nov 28, 2000
US
Hi !
I have to build an algorithm for parsing an XML document.
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to browse thru a string, searching for specific texts, transferring bits of it to other fields, and such ? It need not be very generic, since the document is rather uniform.

It sounds like you may be able to use reference modification. This code was used to parse a generic file that contained information separated by a comma. Reference modification is formatted as follows: FIELD (LOCATION : LENGTH)

INITIALIZE COUNTERS.
MOVE 'N' TO FOUND-SWITCH.

PERFORM VARYING COUNTER FROM 1 BY 1 UNTIL
FOUND-SWITCH = 'Y'

IF INPUT-FILE-RECORD(COUNTER:1) = KN-COMMA
MOVE 'Y' TO FOUND-SWITCH
ELSE
ADD +1 TO COUNTER2
END-IF

END-PERFORM.

MOVE INPUT-FILE-RECORD(1:COUNTER2)
TO POLICY-PREFIX.

ADD +1 TO COUNTER.

MOVE INPUT-FILE-RECORD(COUNTER:10)

TO POLICY-NUMBER-OUT.

ADD +12 TO COUNTER

MOVE INPUT-FILE-RECORD(COUNTER:1)
TO ROLE-CODE-OUT.

WRITE REPORT-RECORD.

Hope that any of this may help!

s-)

This sounds suspiciously like homework, but as you already have one reply, here's another idea: try using the Inspect instruction if you have covered this. I think this is what your teacher will be looking for, and may be easier for you to programme than having to do your own loops adding to a counter each time.

i.e. INSPECT INPUT-FILE-RECORD TALLYING COUNTER For all characters before initial ","

Then INSPECT INPUT-FILE-RECORD (COUNTER:) TALLYING COUNTER-1 for......

also INSPECT INPUT-FILE-RECORD tallying COUNTER-2 For All "," will tell you how many commas there are in the file.

And don't forget to check for the end of INPUT-FILE-RECORD or your progamme will ABEND!

Both of you thanks for the reply !

Stringer: i can assure you that this is no homework ! I'm actually getting paid for it !

Greenguy71: reference modification sounds like a plan. I'll let you know when i've cracked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back