Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

parsing search text

Status
Not open for further replies.

j9

Programmer
Jun 6, 2001
US
How would we write code to parse statements to account for various user entered search criteria, similar to the searches you can do with Google?

For example:
If the search is for a Title and the user enters: "Component Developer" Magazine, how would we write the sql code to search for
titles containing "Component Developer" AND "Magazine" ? Etc.

For your specific statement that you just asked.

Select *fields that you want to display* from table1 where title = "Component Developer" AND title = "Magazine"

Of course what you really were asking is how can there be a search or all those words.

Select *fields that you want to display* from table1 where title Like "%Component%" OR title LIKE "%Developer%" OR title LIKE "%Magazine%"

That searches for those words anywhere in the title string. Taking the % off in front means the title would begin with the search criteria, taking it off at the end means it would end with search criteria.

I think what I want returned is:
Select *fields that you want to display* from table1 where title like "%Component Developer%" AND title like "%Magazine%". The title should contain all terms in the search criteria and should search for full terms if the user put it in quotes, e.g. 'Component Developer'.

I asked my question wrong. What I really want to know is how to parse the search text in C# in order to create the sql statement.

Note: This is not tested, and the syntax is probably not perfect. Should give you a start.

Code:
Dim sSql as string
Dim sTitle as string

sSql = "Select *fields that you want to display* from table1"

'send text to a function for parsing
sTitle = someFunc("title", textbox1.text)

Function someFunc(field as string, searchString as string)

'Write Logic in here
'I don't have time to figure out logic for enclosed ""
'but for the spaces, I would replace with AND
'if the search string was Component Developer Magazine

Replace(searchString, " ", "AND")

'that returns Component AND Developer AND Magazine
'so then i would add in the field criteria

searchString = field & "=" & Replace(searchstring, "AND ", "AND " & field & "=")

'that returns title = Component and title = developer and title = Magazine

return searchString

End Function
searchString is then returned.

then you set sSql = sSql & sTitle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back