Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parsing Odd CSV File

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCHomepage

Programmer
Feb 24, 2009
US
Generally, parsing and inserting a CSV file into MySQL (I'm using object oriented mysqli) is fairly straightforward but I have some new files with a very odd format that need parsing and I have no clue how to do it because it's in sections, each require inserting into (or updating an existing) entry. The first line contains the file name which can be ignored and is always prefixed with the word "product name" or something like that. Sorry, I don't have the file here so I'm paraphrasing.

Then there is a series of names and values as a pair of columns like:

Name1, value1
Name2, value2
Name3, value3
etc.

which continues for a way in similar fashion followed by a space (empty line), then another similar one followed by another space. These two sections always seem to have two columns with the title in the left column and the data values next to it in the right column. As I understand it, these will always have the same number of columns so I can create a table that has the column names of the left column values, then it needs to insert the right column values appropriately. If the particular file has already been uploaded, this same data would need to be replaced, not inserted, and the file name is stored in another table.

Then the rest of the data is in regular header, row and column but I need the data after the header row, not the header itself although the first header value can be used to determine where the values begin. Although the number of values in each section may vary, each one seems to begin with something specific that should help discern where one section ends and the next begins if only I knew how to do it! Any ideas?

Sorry, I inadvertently posted to the wrong forum so please disregard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back