Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

parentElement problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyFusion

Programmer
Jan 9, 2003
US
If I have code like this:
Code:
<OL>
  <LI>
    <FONT face=Arial color=black size=2>asdf</FONT>
  </LI>
</OL>
and I'm using the javascript:

var _currEl = objDOM.selection.createRange();
var myobj = _currEl.parentElement();
var myobj2 = myobj.parentElement();

alert(myobj2.tagName);

Why do I not get any script errors and absolutly nothing happens. If I alert the tagName of myobj it returns 'FONT'. I'm trying to get the parent of the FONT element to see if it is a list item. What am I doing wrong? I've searched everywhere and have been working on this very simple problem for way too long. I consider myself to be a pretty good javascript programmer, but I must be overseeing something or not understanding how the parentElement method works. I would appreciate ANY help. Thank you.

Try
Code:
var myobj2 = myobj.parentNode;

The
Code:
parentElement()
method in the code would be extremely difficult to implement -- given an element, construct its parent and insert it into the DOM tree. That's probably why the DOM implementors elected to go with
Code:
appendChild()
instead.

Actually, I found an easy was to do this on Googles Groups. Loop through the parents until I find an OL or BODY element. I have tested the code below and it works very well.

var objDOM = element.editor.DOM;
var _currEl = objDOM.selection.createRange();
var objParentElement = _currEl.parentElement();

if (objParentElement)
{
while(objParentElement.tagName != &quot;BODY&quot;)
{
if (objParentElement.tagName == &quot;OL&quot;)
{
break;
}
else
{
objParentElement = objParentElement.parentElement;
}
}
}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search