Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parent Div, with a less wide Child Div which contains 2 child Div inside - Responsive Layout ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0deM0nK424

Programmer
Oct 28, 2007
GB
I'd like to know what im missing, or overlooking or simply over complicating.

Simply put, we have a parent div that spans the width of the entire page (display inline block width 100% height auto no padding or margin), this in turn contains a child div ( position relative) which has width set to 100% but a max-width of 1200 or 900 pixels and obviously, a margin-left and margin-right both set to auto. It also has a height of auto. This child div also has margin-top and margin-bottom set to around 50 pixels, so we have some space to show this 'box' inside of a 'bigger wider box' visual. ( is this OK so far folks ? or at this stage would you stop me - and point out something you'd have done differently ? )

So a container with a mini container inside if you like, both with heights set to auto.

Now we want to place two evenly sized boxes with known heights of 400px, inside the child container folks. Their known heights mean the parent divs will accomodate.

1. Ensure they are placed side by side, INSIDE the child div (which has a max-width of 900 pixels)
2. Ensure they have a 'space' between them, these 'boxes' are div elements themselves NOT images.
3. Using Responsive View in firefox, shrink the browser pane till it reaches the snapping point of 1200px and observe.
4. Write a media query that will make the second box / div element fall underneith the first one at a given 'snapping point' ( i choose 640 pixels )

The margins or spacing of these boxes need to be even on both sides AND between them.

How easy or tricky is this to acomplish ?

Would love to hear from Responsive web designers of all levels, how do you approach this ? can it be done in more than one way ?

p.s - im finding my layout, my two boxes are slightly more towards the right ( bigger margin on the left than the right...weird).

Also the right box, slightly 'overflows' out of its container. Why ?

Ah I see whats happened.

Child container ( max-width 900px) , was appearing as 940 pixels lol

reason being, cos of this stupid line i added padding: 0 20px 0 20px ( so theres an extra 20 pixels on teh side of thsi child div element).

problemo solved. Thank you and GOOD BYE, have a wonderful merry christmas folks :)

If you are using CSS3 you can alter this behavior with the box model and box-sizing property.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Thanks IDMF, ive seen this 'box-sizing' thing but never gone out of my way to find out what it was, what it did and how it did it heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back