Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameters with wildcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluevelvet

Programmer
Jan 28, 2003
GB
Please help before I lose my sanity!!! I am trying to use wildcards with parameters so that when end users are prompted for a part no for example, they can put in C69-* where * represents the missing part of the number. I have tried using the following syntax in my record selection formula:

Example 1.

{table.column} like["*"] or {table.column}={?parameter}

Example 2.

if {?parameter}="*" then {table.column}like {?parameter}
else ({table.column}={?parameter}

By the way I'm running version 9 of Crystal.
I would appreciate any help at all on this and also if anyone knows of a programmers reference I could buy.....

If they are only entering the first part of the number, you can use:

{table.column} startswith{?param} Mike

{table.column} like {?parameter}

is what I use when allowing wildcards. You can check to see if "*" is part of the {?parameter} string so that you can use the "=" if they don't, but it isn't necessary unless using the wildcard causes a big performance hit.

Lisa

Lisa is right. When I first tested mine with the "like", it didn't work. Or I didn't do it correctly, which is probably more accurate. Mike

You don't use StartsWith in conjunction with Like. You use it instead of it.

They both translate to the SQL in the same way.

Naith

If you're referring to my post... I didn't try to use them together. I probably missed-typed the item I used for my test. Ya can't find what ain't there.[smile]

I just tried to combine them . Crystal "yells" at you if you try to combine the functions. The standard "A number, currancy amount .... expected here" error. Mike

thanks for all the replies... I tried to use {table.column}like{?para} but it generated an error saying a string is required here???? :-(

The datatype of the parameter needs to match the datatype of {table.column}. That is to say; they should both be strings, as you can't use '*' as a wildcard operand with any other datatype.

Naith

Both the column and the parameter are strings so I'm at a loss as what is going wrong here.

so if I understand you....you want the user to enter part of a number and receive all PN's containing that part.

try this maybe

{?Partial Number} String parameter (use NO wildcard char)

in the record selection formula

instr( {table.PartNumber},{?Partial Number} ) <> 0 ;

maybe this will work Jim Broadbent

thanks everyone, got it working but still don't know what the problem was cos in the end I recreated my report and the {table.col}like{?para} worked. Corrupt report perhaps. I will make a note of all the solutions offered for future reference...

thanks again
:)

Ngolem,
That was a useful piece there.
To avoid the proverbial Error Message "String Missing here.." one must make sure that the Parameter {?Detail} is defined as a string and that it is not a range. Crystall (with ACCPAC) usually will only allow you to use that code if the detail is a discrete value.
Happy scripting!
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back