Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameterized Queries 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjpettie

Programmer
Nov 1, 2010
CA
I just inherited a legacy asp app that the client wants to make more secure. I'm having issues changing all the dynamic queries to parameterized queries. The app uses an oracle backend.

So far...
Dim strSql, dcConnection, rsApplications, objCommand,

strSql = "SELECT DISTINCT [field1] FROM [table1] WHERE [field1] = :ID"

Set dcConnection = GetConnection()
Set rsApplications = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
Set objCommand = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
objCommand.ActiveConnection = dcConnection
objCommand.CommandText = strSql
objCommand.Parameters.Append (objCommand.CreateParameter(":ID", adVarChar, adParamInput, 4, "ABCD"))
Set rsApplications = objCommand.Execute()

When I include the value "ABCD" in the WHERE clause it works as expected within a second. When I use the code above the query times out.

While grasping at straws I tried to swap out the : with @ and ? to no avail.

Any support would be appreciated.

1) use ? in the strSQL
2) use the fieldname in the createparameter

Code:
<%
set objCommand = server.CreateObject("adodb.command")
Set objCommand.ActiveConnection = objConn
objCommand.CommandText = "SELECT DISTINCT [field1] FROM [table1] WHERE field1 = ?"

objCommand.CommandType = 1
Set param1 = objCommand.CreateParameter ( "field1", 129,1,4)
param1.value = "ABCD"
objCommand.Parameters.Append param1
Set objRS = objCommand.Execute()
%>

(129 = adChar, 1 = adParamInput)

Thanks for the solution foxbox! Now I have a ton of work ahead of me but at least I can stop spinning my wheels.

>objCommand.Parameters.Append (objCommand.CreateParameter(":ID", adVarChar, adParamInput, 4, "ABCD"))
The main thing is to have those named constants defined explicit in your script if it is not already. Also the value 4 is not to be take as some magic number, it is the dynamic size to be inputted according to the parameter's value. The naming agreement between the use of ":ID" at two places is of no generic importance, you can name it as such or you can name it differently in the parameter object. Those are the main points to note.
[tt]
const adVarChar=200
const adParamInput=1
dim s
s="ABCD" 'or anything as the application intends to do
objCommand.Parameters.Append objCommand.CreateParameter(":ID", adVarChar, adParamInput, [red]len(s), s[/red])[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back