Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameter value maximum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ofina

Technical User
Feb 25, 2004
US
Does Crystal XI have a maximum number of dynamic values that it will bring into a drop down parameter?

I have one that is not showing up in the parameter drop down when the report is run. It would probably be at the bottom of the list alphabetically.

I can't figure out why. If I take the SQL that the report runs, remove the where clause and run it in SSMS, then my missing value is there in the result set. So I have no idea why it is not showing in the box.

Thoughts?

Yes, by default there is a maximum number of values and it's different for the different versions of Crystal. If you do a search on the forum you'll find posts about a registry setting you can tweak in order to get more values to show up (I don't remember it off the top of my head).

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Surely it's not 26 though. And, in fact, I have other parameters that are showing far more.

I believe it has to do with how many records it pulls to get the data - I think if it hits the max number of records and has only pulled 26 distinct values, then that's all it will show.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Okay, so that appears to be my problem.

Can I limit the range *before* it pulls the values for the parameter? If I do a select to limit it, it doesn't limit the parameter list, only the resulting data set.

I tried creating a command on the table that would have the limiting data and redid a bunch of things to use the command instead of that table. Although it was successful in the sense that the parameter list now shows my missing value, I got an "Invalid Argument Provided" when it worked on the data set.

I'd like to avoid creating a view just for this report because I'd have to basically redo the whole thing.

So, is there any way to filter the data set before the software builds the parameter lists that doesn't result in my above error.

You could just include the lookup table with the values with no links to it. You then use that with the dynamic prompt ONLY - do not use it in your report. You could also create a Command (SQL Select statement) to filter the value and use it the same way.

-Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back