Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parameter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystalfire

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
US
Crystal 8.5

I have this formula in my report:

if isnull({CUST_ADDRESS.TERRITORY}) then {CUSTOMER.TERRITORY} else {CUST_ADDRESS.TERRITORY}

What I need to do is create a parameter using this formula. I don't see the option to choose this formula in the parameter selection area. Is this possible? Thanks!

No idea what you mean.

A parameter isn't based off of a formula, a parameter is generally passed TO a formula.

Are you trying to prepopulate a parameter field?

Parameters are NOT dynamic in Crystal 8.5, so you must manually populate them, and I would suggest that you write otu a text file using your logic and then import that text file in as the default values.

-k

Are you trying to populate the value list using the browse field feature? If both fields contain the same values, then use one to populate the list. Then in your record selection try using:

(
isnull({CUST_ADDRESS.TERRITORY}) and
{CUSTOMER.TERRITORY} = {?yourparm}
) or
{CUST_ADDRESS.TERRITORY} = {?yourparm}

-LB

I am trying to create a Parameter based on the result of the formula I have. Some of the results are EX:
United States , Europe, Asia... I need to have a parameter the customer can choose from reflecting these choices.

I think that saying that you're trying to create a parameter is incorrect, you're trying to dynamically prepopulate a parameter drop down with choices, which isn't available in CR 8.5. CR XI supports this.

As previously mentioned, you can query the database using your criteria, then create a text file to be used as the import for the list.

-k

Just a thought - I've been in that situation and as long as performance isn't an issue, recommend bringing in all the records, suppressing the records that don't meet your criteria.

Create a parameter field that asks which country you want to view - and then don't use that parameter in the selection criteria, but rather, use it as part of the suppression formula at the row level.

Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back