Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

parameter help again, CR XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyu

Programmer
Feb 8, 2005
US
I posted this question several weeks ago here, and was told that there are no easy ways to do it in CR10 and below. I want to know whether this can be achieved with CR XI and how, if so, I would probably go and get CRXI. Thanks a lot!!

I have a stored procedure which takes a parameter studentID(number). However, my users have a hard time memorizing all studnetIDs, instead, they'd like to input studentName as parameters. Assume the studnetID and studentName relationship is stored in a table studentInfo, is it possible that a user inputs studentName, and crystal report looks up the corresponding studnetID from the table and then feeds studentID to my stored procedure? Or are there any other ways which can achieve the same thing?

I don't want to change my stored procedure to accept a studnetName parameter since this stored procedure is used in many other places, and I don't want to disrupt all others...

CR XI supports dynamic parameters.

I don't have it here, but I believe that it will do what you want by just pointing and clicking the parameter to the appropriate field. However using SPs always causes some heartache as the parrameters are generated by the SP. Using a View makes this very easy.

You can D/L CR XI for free (30 day version), so go give it a try:

-k

Why not "save as" the stored procedure and create a version that accepts student name as a parameter?

In any case, if the list of students is fairly static, you can populate the values (student ID) and descriptions (student name) into the default values of the parameter. Then turn the display option of showing only the description. This doesn't require Crystal 11.

hth,
- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back