Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parallel Port Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc82394

Programmer
Aug 21, 2003
US
How can I test my parallel port? I am unable to install my scanner or printer (both using this port). I am thinking the port is not working since I installed the same equipment on my old pc without problems.

Thanks.

New PC? Port enabled? Correctly addressed. These are BIOS/CMOS settings.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

New built pc. Where can I check to ensure the port is enabled and addressed correctly? (steps)

You can't really test it without having a loopback plug.
But if Windows device manager
says it's enabled and working correctly it should be okay.

open
Start - run - devmgmt.msc
Open the port & LPT and check the properties on it.

CMOS setup, probably the del key while you have a setup banner.
Then into peripheral setup.

Ed Fair

In setup I switched it to allow P-ATA and S-ATA, didn't work. Then I tried P-ATA and still not working. In device manager there are 2 ports listed (com1 and com2) in Ports & LPTs. Both ports are enabled.

What am I forgetting?

Your mangler doesn't show the parallel.
I'm not familiar with the p-ata or s-ata. Choice with the parallel is to enable it and possible 3 settings, spp, epp and I forget the other.
You may have a splash screen on bootup. Some modern BIOSs have it that show processor, memory , and peripherals along with their addresses. You may want to look there if available.

Ed Fair

Howdy,

May or may not work but i've had trouble installing a printer before. No matter what I checked, all seemed ok so I went in Device Manager and deleted the parrallel port entry in there and rebooted.
When the pc came back up, it re-installed the parrallel port and mysteriously noticed that there was a printer attached to it X-).

Might be worth a go

Hope this helps

TSSTechie

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

I tried deleting the ports and rebooting, still nothing.
In the bios, in IDE Configuration is where I see the option for "Onboard IDE Operate Mode". Enhanced mode or compatible mode are the options. Per the manual it seems that if I am using 2000/XP I need to use Enhanced mode, which I am. "Enhanced mode support on" gives options of p-ata, s-ata or p-ata + s-ata. The maual states "the default setting s-ata allows you to use native OS on serial ata and parallel ata ports. We recommend that you do not change the default setting for better OS compatibility."

This is how it was initially set, I modified it but put it back. Is this the correct section of the bios setup or am I way off???

Motherboard is ASUS P4C800 Deluxe.

Thanks.

IDE configuration is for hard drives. ATA si hard drives.

What you are looking for should show on the same page as the serial ports.

Ed Fair

Found it. It was disabled in the bios. Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back