Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parallel port for 2650 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnBoy

MIS
Mar 12, 2003
I've got a 2650 I need to put a parallel port in. It is running WinNT so I cannot use any kind of USB device. Neither Dell tech support nor Sales could find any way to put a parallel port in this server.

Does anyone here know of a way? I've got the PCI-x riser.

Next time I'll buy HP...

why do you need a parallel port? If you need if for a printer you can purchase a simple print server connector instead and connect to the parallel port of the printer.

I don't need it for a printer. The software running on this server uses a hardware key that plugs into a parallel port.

Parallel ports are on the way out and have been for some time.

Most software vendors that require a security dongle are now supporting USB versions of the devices, which you should seek to obtain. Failing that, demand the vendor solve the problem in some other way. "There's nothing we can do" is not an acceptable response when coming from a software vendor who you are spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars with.

Sure, I'll replace a $500k control system because a $4k server doesn't have the right hardware.

Please, I don't need advice on how to do my job. I need to know if there's a way to put a parallel port in this box.

"There's nothing we can do" is not an acceptable response from a hardware vendor either.

Thanks, mrregan, but the problem is that you can't plug a pci card into a 2650. The expansion risers (mine is the pci-x, there is also the pci-e) won't accept standard cards, the sockets are wrong. Apparently you can only plug a Dell expansion card (and some Adaptec SCSI/RAID controllers) into a 2650, and they don't seem to have anything with a parallel port on it.

Hey, cool, thanks! Looks like just what I need; now if I can figure out a way to pay in euros... The pictures shows it as an Axxon card, made in Canada. I bet one of my vendors will be happy to get it for me.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back