Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox (v9) to SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arenig

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2001
GB
We're attempting to switch the back end of our large financial application over to SQL Server (2005).

I'm just at the experiment stage.

I have created a SQL table identical in structure to my paradox one. Yet when I attempt to attach a TCursor, I get either a GPF or Paradox closes instantly and disappears completely without warning. Wow! If it can't even do this much without exploding, then I'm in trouble

Any clues?
According to everything I've read, this should be a perfectly feasible project.

I have heard that this can be a simple process, although I've yet to see it.

I have a Paradox app that I am in the process of converting to Vb.net and Sql Server 2005 and I found what worked best for me was to do a 2 stage import into sql. I first imported the Paradox tables into Access, then imported the Access tables into Sql Server. Sql used to be able to import Paradox tables directly but Sql 2005 doesn't. I does however imports Access tables nicely. I found that Sql is very strict with field structures and RI where as Paradox and to some extend Access is fairly flexible, for example Paradox allows nulls in secondary key fields where as Sql doesn't. I found it also helped to remove the keys and RI from the tables before importing them and setting that up again under Sql Server.

Good Luck
Perrin

Hi Perrin,

Thanks for your reply. It's like a morgue in this forum nowadays.

Anyway, have come a little further now.

1. Have written a paradox utility to create tables and then copy the data - bearing in mind all that you said above re no null keys etc. (I never use inbuilt RI)
2. I was just finishing that utility off when I discovered "fullConvert" and realised I'd been wasting my time. A great tool, does the job in a jiffy with little fuss. Here's the url. Download a trial.

And if you're in the UK the exchage rate is great at the moment - cheap as chips!

Cheers
Martin.

Martin,

It has gotten a little dusty around here, it's a shame because Paradox was a great program.

Thanks for the tip on fullConvert, I had been looking for a conversion program and I hadn't come across fullConvert. I just tried it and it looks great. Much easier than what I had been doing.

Perrin

Thank you Tony, I wondered where everybody had gone..

Just so you know, switching over to SQL back-end will extend the life of my paradox system in the city of london by years. I love Paradox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back