Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeRestle

Technical User
Dec 3, 2001
US
There has to be a better way to deal with this problem than my current solution.

Given:
1. A normal query creates an answer table. The format of that table is either Paradox's default or a custom format that can be created using the Query Properties dialog box.

2. I want the answer priv:answer.db table in the format of a results file. (not the default format)

I have been accomplishing this by copying a "correctly formated" dummy file to the private answer table. Since this invalidates the *.val files, I have to delete the answer.val files before the query will run. My current technique is to go to DOS, delete the *.val files, go back to Paradox and run the query.

This seems to be way too convoluted. What am I missing?

Maybe I've missed the question. You should be able to generate the query result in whatever tableview you want by adjusting the answer table properties. Also the answer table name does not have to be :priv:answer.db.

If however, you are trying to change the default format of answer tables, then I don't think that's possible without changing the default format for all tables.

Have you looked at INSERT queries? This will place the results of your query into a predefined table of your own design. Assuming the fields fit.

Richie

I received this answer from OGriofa (Visitor) May 1, 2002

(Maybe I've missed the question. You should be able to generate the query result in whatever tableview you want by adjusting the answer table properties. Also the answer table name does not have to be :priv:answer.db.

If however, you are trying to change the default format of answer tables, then I don't think that's possible without changing the default format for all tables.)

I would like to discuss the answer a little further by explaining that I can do what I want by deleting the *,val files in the answer directory using DOS. I probably could do the same thing using Windows Explorer but DOS is pretty straight forward and unmysterious to me. Windows with all it's wonderous features is a little too slick for me to try to do fancy stuff with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back