Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox network file access on NT very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicD

Programmer
Jul 12, 2001
ZA
Hi

I have a Delphi 3 app that uses paradox data files. One particular client of mine has his data files on an NT server that is accessed by Win98 PC's.

On some of these PC's the app can take up to 15min to start up (trying to open the database tables) while some of the other PC's start up reasonably quickly (but still pretty slowly).

Other clients of mine using similar setups (NT/Win98) have no problems at all with the app and the paradox tables are opened up very quickly!

All PC's are running the latest BDE (5.1.1.) and have had the recommended registry tweaks (opportunistic locking), Local Share etc done.

This is driving me nuts so can someone PLEASE HELP!!!

AAAAIIIEIEEE!!!

I am not posting a solution, but instead am experiencing the same thing. Hopefully, this will revive the thread and someone will have an answer out there.

Damn!

I wish I can help, but instead having a similar problem. However my problem is that I am excountering the problem on ME. And it is not just opening tables, but also accessing the tables once it is opened. It is fine with Win 95, 98 and NT workstation.
Oh yes, I am using Delphi 4 compiled exe.

any experts out there???

Check all of your network setup. Paradox speed problems over a network probably isn't really a problem with paradox or your app at all, since Paradox isn't client/server. I don't know the optimal setup but that is where you should look for problems. I'm guessing it also takes a bit of time to browse to the server, just through network neighborhood.

Good luck!

TealWren

HI!

I am an amature Delphi 3 programmer, but I work as an IT and network administrator and have experience in these fields.

I also agree that the problem might be a general network problem, and my first suggestion is to make sure the server is using the latest service pack SP6a, and if so or if not, anyway reapply SP6a to make sure that files are updated.
(After SP6a, the administrator should also install the latest SRP from MS, but it is not related to your problem).

More basic troubleshooting of the server is checking its event log
(look for SCSI timeouts, and other stuff in the System log).

Another important thing to check is name resolution.
If using TCP/IP, use
ping SERVERNAME
to check,
and use WINS/LMHOSTS/HOSTS/DNS to troubleshoot.

I would also like to learn from you about the opportunistic locking tweak.
I have heard about it but never used it (yet..)
Please give me your experience and how-to, not only links if you can.

Also, what do you mean "Local Share"?

Ask this question in the NT server forum also, someone there may asist.

Bye
Yizhar

Yizhar Hurwitz

Some points of consideration:

Set Local share = true (Configuration --> System --> INIT) in the BDE Administrator

Use a shared network directory for the database data and the network control file Paradox.net

The network drive you are using must be mapped with the same drive letter by all client machines, otherwise the BDE cotrol gets confused.

Tables increase network traffic, try to use TQueries and/or Transactions

By the way trying to connect 20 users to the database, will give problems!

Maybe this helps S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back