Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox Distribution Expert (PDE) for PDX10? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcmorris

Programmer
Nov 22, 2002
US
With Paradox 8, you were required to buy a Runtime license for Paradox Runtime. The Runtime CD came with a Distribution program which created a setup.exe program to install Paradox Runtime and your app files onto other computers.

Recently upgraded to PDX10, and notice that Runtime is included on the CD (very nice not to have to pay for extra licensing), but there is no sign of the old PDE (Paradox Distribution Expert).

I'm going to try and modify the old PDE from PDX8 to see if I can make it work for PDX10. Any experience with that? I am copying over the more recent BDE into the PDE folder. Sure hope it works, as I found the PDE to be a nice feature for the Paradox 8 Runtime.

Regan

Well, Version 9 had the PDE and I can tell you that it is different from Version 8's PDE. The only thing I noticed immediately was that it names the install folders differently and adds some files in with your program (forms, tables, etc_) files - which 8 did not. I think you have your work cut out for you. I'm sorry to hear that the PDE died with Version 10. One more reason not to upgrade from 9. Mac :)

"There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... those who understand binary and those who don't"

langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

Regan,

Corel decided not to update the PDE for Paradox 10, primarily because it was one of those things that, um, well, worked, but didn't work well.

There are some alternatives, though:

1. shows how to use the free Inno Setup Compiler (see that page for links) to install Paradox 10 Runtime applications.

2. shows how to use InstallShield to install Paradox Runtime applications.

There are also innmerable UseNet postings about this; search for a start.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back