Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PARADOX 9 NETWORK INITIALIZATION ERROR

Status
Not open for further replies.

serarmoro

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
MX
Hello!

I'm using Paradox 9 and getting this error message:

"Network Initialization Failed" then comes the path and then it says "File Q:\PDOXUSERS.NET cannot acces network lock file. Continue with network disabled?

The BDE is configured for this drive, the drive is mapped, the local share is set to TRUE.

The machines (both were I have the problem and where I have the application) run with windowsXP and the server uses Windows 2000 Server.

I read the post about the Netware Client 4.83 and the Novell network 4.1.1 but since we have windows 2000 server it doesn't apply.

I have made applications that run with windowsXP with no problems in the past, this is the first time I got it.
Any halp will be greatly appreciated

Serarmoro

Does the user have FULL rights to q:\ ? Can you open a Windows Explorer window on that directory, and create a new text file?

Does the user have rights to the BDE directory? (not by default with XP)

Not likely it, but have you checked to ensure that the network cards are set to NOT allow Windows to put it to sleep to conserve energy?

Please respond with answers to these, and we can go from there.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

Thanks Tony

Yes the user has FULL Rights Q:\
The user has installed Paradox Runtime, and its BDE is set to Q:\ as the network file. Also the local share is set to True.
The card on the computer that has the application is set to never put to sleep neither the hard disk, the monitor or the system.

Did you check the properties for the Network card specifically?

The setting is in the Device Manager, rather than Power Management.

Does the user have full rights to the BDE Directory? (This one stymied me on 2 of 9 computers. Even though I was promised that all systems were configured the same, I had to give full rights to the bde directory to EVERYONE on those 2 computers.)

And that about rounds out my experience with this issue.

I'll come back if I find/remember anything.

Tony McGuire

Thanks again Tony, I'm gona check on those and try again.

"The card on the computer that has the application is set to never put to sleep neither the hard disk, the monitor or the system."

Is this a peer-to-peer system? (System that houses the data is also used as a workstation.)

The 'server' needs to not have the NIC card go to sleep.

So do all of the workstations.

The only other times I remember issues are:

Win 98 system used to house data.

Hub instead of Switch used.

Bad ports/cables, that had intermittent problems. And lost packets great enough that Paradox/BDE wouldn't play well even though other applications would.

Tony McGuire

Tony, just to thank you, the problem was in the full rights for both q: and BDE, there seems to be a network problem that causes changings in the rights settings. The network people are working on them as we speak. If something different would happen I'll post you and tell you about it.

I take this chance to thank you for your advice and support, and to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy 2006.

Serarmoro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back