Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox 9 - 6 second delay for key presses 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arenig

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2001
GB
This is a problem that has recurred. I have no idea what fixed it last time, it just went away.

I have pdox 9 on a Dell laptop running on a home network via a broadband router.

Pressing any key within paradox (except keypresses on forms weirdly), for instance Alt + F for File menu, results in a 6 second delay before pdox responds. Even clicking to scroll through a table takes the same amount of time.

Disable my network and the problem stops.

I need my network, i need pdox to speed up. Can find no settings anywhere. Nothing has changed on my setup either. My antivirus (panda) isn't set to scan pdox type files either.

Basically, I have to disconnect my network to get any work done, then put it back again after, to test.

What's going on?

Your help appreciated.

Martin Evans
Arenig Ltd

You could have bad network equipment.

Also, do you have any printers defined on the system you are having problems on that are no longer attached? If so, delete them.

What OS is the computer you are on? What OS is your 'server'?

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

Hi Tony,

OS = XP Pro across the board.

Yes, there are the odd printers that are listed as Unable to Connect, because these are the printers from a regular workplace network in London. They have never caused a problem before.

Thanks

Delete those printers, and see if things return to normal speed. (This is a known issue that only affects *some* system.)

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

Hi Tony,

Well, would you adam and eve it? That did the trick. They've never bothered me before, but maybe one of the drivers got updated or something and spooked my machine out.

Works just fine now. Thank you very much for your time.

I notice that the number of posts to this forum have declined somewhat. I guess people are finally moving on from Paradox.

I'll have to remember to switch the lights off when I leave ;-}

Cheers
Martin Evans
Arenig Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back