Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox 8 Language Driver Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keys88

MIS
Mar 4, 2004
US
When using Table Lookup as a means of validating a field, I get the following message when I select a field to validate against: "You have chosen a table with a different language driver. Some field values may not be compatible." Prior table lookups have not generated this message and the lookup works in spite of the message. I have no non-Latin characters in any of the tables. I believe I know how to correct the problem but would like to know possible causes.

Keys88,

By default, tables are created using the default language defined in BDE. This affects tables you create manually, as well as temporary tables created by Paradox, such as Answer, KeyViol, Problems, changed, and so on.

Ideally, it's best to be consistent with your language drivers. For example, if you create tables using the "Paradox 'intl'" driver, but do not change the default BDE language driver, you may receive this message when linking Answer tables to other tables.

The default language driver depends on the locale of your copy of Paradox. For example, French Paradox will default to a different language driver than an English copy of Paradox (which uses "'ascii' ANSI" by default).

To check the default BDE language driver:

1. From Control Panel, start the BDE Administrator (BDE Admin).

2. When BDE Admin starts, select the Configuration tab and then expand the settings for Configuration | Drivers | Native | Paradox.

The LANGDRIVER setting controls the default language driver for all tables created after saving a change. This is important, if you have tables created before changing the default setting, you need to restructure those individually.

You also need to restart Paradox or any other BDE-hosted application for the default changes to take effect.

To change an individual table's language driver:

1. Start Paradox and close all open documents and table windows.

2. From the main Paradox menu, choose Tools | Utilities | Restructure.

3. When the Select File dialog appears, choose a table.

4. When the Restructure dialog appears, use the Table Language list to determine and, if necessary, change the existing language driver.

It's also possible the language driver got reset by a Table Repair or that the lookup table's main index is corrupted. It's really hard to say what happened without more specific details of the system and any recent changes.

For an introduction to the overall issue, please see which provides assorted notes and observations.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back