Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox 4.5 on NT hangs on field boundaries in reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

delhill

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2001
US
I have a Paradox 4.5 DOS database running on a Novell 5.1 server. I am trying to move all users to NT 4 (from Win 95/98). After some tweaking, I thought I was running great from a batch file which gives it PATH and memory parameters, and captures a legacy print queue:
set path=%path%;g:\.;g:\pdox45;g:\pdox45\pdoxdata
cd g:
capture Q=.CN=PTR_Q01.O=MyOrg
cd\pdox45
paradox.exe MyScript -extk 16000

I created a VDM to run it from command.com as well.
BUT when users try to edit reports generated from the initial (master) script, in insert mode, they hang the app with a CPU hog whenever they type into a field boundary. And unfortunately, they've gotten used to moving through the reports that way, under Windows 95/98, which simply returned an exception error ("dING!") and let them keep going.
Please, can anyone assist? What in the script or table structure creates an exception which NT is evidently interpreting as a machine call? And how do I get around it?
Things are getting desperate. Thanks for any help.

Actually, Steve Green will just tell you to immediately rewrite your application in Windows, and offer his services to do this. I don't experience this problem running in the same environment, so it may be one of the settings. Check settings for preventing DOS apps from seeing windows, memory settings, and possibly the MISC settings (you'll have to experiment with these a little). Also, make sure no other windows programs are using hotkeys that paradox uses (like Alt-F5).
-DL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back