Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox 3.5 for DOS -- Does anyone remember Quarterdeck's QEMM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert213

Technical User
Jul 8, 2011
US
As a long-time user of Paradox 3.5 for DOS, I've recently learned...

01) Anyone can create a DOS Bootable USB Flashdrive (SanDisk 2GB) using HP's USB Disk Format Tool

02) Paradox 3.5 for DOS (Both full and run-time versions) will run on P4-M and iCore-3 laptops.
Technique #1 - Enter Bios Setup and place USB Flashdrive above internal HDD in Harddrive list.
Technique #2 - Press [F12] during start up and select USB device.

03) Paradox 3.5 for DOS will NOT run in Windows XP "DOS Prompt" windows.

Why do this? I am helping someone collect data for their research paper whose only access to a computer is through a pool of departmental computers at work. It is not practical to install a Paradox app on all of these computers. However, if the app is located on a DOS bootable flashdrive, the app can be run on any Intel-based machine. Yes, this person has obtained proper authorization through her company's Internal Review Board procedures.

However, I've recently learned that Paradox 3.5 for DOS can NOT be configured to run in "Protected Mode" using DOS memory drivers from Windows 98 SE startup diskette. I will assume that "EMM386.EXE" memory driver from MS DOS 5.0 or 6.2 will NOT work either.

"Protected Mode" allows Paradox 3.5 to reference extended memory (XMS) above 1 MB address.

I am about to create another DOS bootable Flashdrive using MS DOS 3.3. However, I've lost my last known working "Config.sys".

Does anyone remember Quarterdeck's memory manager, QEMM? Does Paradox 3.5 require the use of a DOS extended memory driver in order to be run in "Protected Mode"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back