Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paradox 10 and WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperG

Programmer
Mar 24, 2000
CA
I am having a really strange problem in P10 and XP. My Paradox application will running a batch routine at the end of the day after 15-20 minutes of running will just disappear. There will be lock files on the server but no error message and no application or process running on the workstation.

It doesn't seem like a database error, or if it is why am I not getting a error message.

Once I clear the lock files on the server I can continue with the routine but in 15-20 minutes it will do it again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn

SuperG,

Hm. This is weird. Very weird.

If you are getting an error from Paradox, one that is somehow being cleared before being displayed, you can always use the mouse to point to the status bar. If the pointer itself turns into a question mark with an arrow, you can click the status bar to see the last error Paradox recorded. This generally apears as a dialog box.

If you have one of these, see if there's a [>>] button and whether or not it's enabled. If it is, click it for more specific details regarding the actual error.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure you'll have a Paradox error to review. It sort of sounds like something is somehow terminating either the Paradox process or the BDE process before it completes. Do you have any utlities installed that do this?

Alternatively, if you're working in a network environment, it's entirely possible that the server is somehow terminating the communication connection. I've seen that happen in obscure cases. Without any idea of your environment, though, I'm not sure whether those would apply or not.
Out of curiosity, what sort of batch routine are you running? Have you added code to record the status of various operations? For example, perhaps you might set an environment variable or write lines to a text file after each successful operation.

Also, if this is an ObjectPAL routine, it's very important to check for error conditions, as those frequently contain important clues when things go wrong.
Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back