Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paper Jams on Hp 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
On our network printer when a user tries to print it will come up with a paper jam error. But there is no paper jam. After going through several steps that it prompts, it will pick up the paper and print the job. Then it will repeat the same thing for the next user or job.
Any idea what the problem is?
Can we repair it in house?

Few things to try/look at:

1. Is the paper being loaded pre-cut e.g. the users haven't just took some A3, folded and ripped it then shoved it in have they?
2. Could always try the usual...reinstall the drivers.
3. Have you tried cleaning the printer. The ones we have at our work get filled with crap all the time. It only takes a few minutes to clean them but makes a hell of a difference.
4. Last thing I can think of...try running some of its self diagnostics (the ones where you press buttons on the printer itself).

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Thanks, we will try to run the self diagnostics and see what that comes up with.

Because you didn't specify the model of HP printer, I don't know if this is related to your problem, but HP 4000 series printers will give a paper jam indication when they are unable to pick up a sheet of paper within a prescribed period of time.

This is generally caused by the paper pickup roller being worn down. The roller is made of rubber, and over time the friction of picking up sheets of paper wears the roller down to the point where it no longer reliably picks up sheets of paper. This problem is quite common. Replacement rollers are inexpensive and easy to install.

There's a section in HP covering cleaning the rubber rollers. I'd try that before reinstalling software. Also as I recall, there are "arms" that are tripped as paper is picked that sometimes needs reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back