Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pantone colour difference??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gynoom

Technical User
Mar 3, 2001
NL
Hi, I am working on a Project and had to use 2 PMS colours.
Pantone 286 C
Pantone 116 C

If I choose the Pantone 286 C in Photoshop they have a CMYK value of:

C= 100, M= 84, Y= 12, B= 4

But if I choose the same Pantone 286 C in Indesign they give me a CMYK value of:

C= 100, M= 66, Y= 0, B= 2

How is this possible??
They don't even display the same colour.. the first one (of photoshop) is a darker blue then the second one.

Can someone please explain, how it can be that these Pantone numbers don't have the exact same values.
If it is printed in press this probably can be a problem if I have 2 different Pantone colours with the same numbers.

Thanks,

Jef.

Well I believe that it has something to do with two separate divisions within Adobe setting up there own color coversions. I could be wrong but I have noticed that eventhough they are in the same company InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator layout there programs in different ways. For example, InDesign CS has those nice flyout windows on the side of the screen, which by the way I LOVE!, but the other two programs don't have them.

When I ever come across this issue I just change the other Pantone color to match the CMYK values if I am running 4 color process.

If I am running spot colors I don't bother with it.

Tony Perkins

Photoshop is wrong. I checked my Pantone swatch book and ID is right. I've heard that in general, you should never believe photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back