Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PANTHER AND QUARK 6 .... IS IT ANY BETTER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaraLebo

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
US
ANY USERS ALREADY IN PANTHER? DOES IT HELP THE FONT ISSUES WITH QUARK 6?

I find the quark issues (I use Font Reserve) are much easier to work with in quark 6. However everthing else about it is terrible. I don't think they made any improvement since quark 4 and many things are worse because you need xtensions for everything that is basic in InDesign. Why pay for simple things?

I'm in this forum because I'm looking for something like the "picture attributes" xtension that wold import a graphic using the same scaling as the a graphic already in the box.

--catman

Kara, can you specify the font issues you are having?

I'm using Panther. I went straight from OS 9.2 and Quark 5 to Panther and Quark 6. I've had more problems with fonts since I've upgraded. However, it seems to be a Quark problem. I can use the same fonts in every other program I have, and no problems. But when I use those same fonts in Quark, they either don't print correctly or I get the "font may be corrupt and not print correctly" error - but they print OK.

I can't seem to find anything beyond that it's a "known issue" in Quark. :)

The font issues with Quark 6...are indeed a feature. But they stem from one of a couple of things:

1. The font is corrupt.
Fix: Re-instal from original CD

2. Your font ID's (suitcase and poscript) have mismatched numerical ID's.
Fix: Re-instal from original CD

3. Your font ID's are mismatched and you don't have original CD...erm....keep quite and live with it or purchase legal fonts

BD

I agree with BD -

you really have to reinstall all your licensed fonts if you are getting problems - saying that even some of our licensed fonts are giving me gip. Isn't it well known that Panther highlights all those dubious fonts you've picked up over the years?

Suitcase X1 seems to have helped with Panther, but would be interested to hear of anyone using the Fontbook option.

We've only a small network here and run various specs (10.2.8 with Quark 6.1a and no font management, 10.2.8 with Quark as before and Suitcase X, 10.3.3 with Quark 6.1a and Suitcase X1) - though the better option seems to be without any font management!

I had a print problem with 6.1 and panther...I could print from any app except 6.1..When I did, it acted like it went, but never printed (to HP1850)..After hacking around, including replacing fonts,I found this solution.

Went to HD > Library> Fonts....Get info>Ownership and Permissions. Changed all permissions to RW, and clicked on the "apply to enclosed items" button.

This fixed the printing problem. Not sure why, but some things are best left a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back