Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panning a virtual desktop in 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walker2

Programmer
Oct 28, 2006
DK
On my old netbook I have a screen resolution of 1024x600. Too small for anything, really.
Fortunately, I still run XP with an Intel driver installed. This allows me to have a much larger desktop in both dimensions I can pan across.

But how to do a similar thing under Win10?

You can still get those netbooks, now with Win10 and more powerful CPUs, which are great for travel, as they are small in both volume and weight.
I know about the built-in virtual screens, but I suspect they all are limited to the 600 pixel vertical resolution, which quite often will give me nothing but all the ads on various homepages.

I don't think I've ever seen or heard about panning in XP. That's interesting. I wonder if it were driver specific rather than OS specific?

Regardless, if the ads are the main reason for the issue, have you tried running ad or script blockers in your web browser? I like using Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox because of the vast array of choices for blocking ads and scripts on sites. It helps improve security besides blocking some of the ads. Generally, web pages will also load tons faster.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

It may be a driver thing! I seem to recall installing a new driver from Intel soon after buying the thing.

I am using FireFox, but some homepages do have their ads follow scrolling, so they are always visible. FlashBlock does not prevent that.

Besides, I do like having a little more workspace than 600 pixels. That is barely enough to read e-mail, given all the overhead of menus, navigation bars, Windows framework etc.

But I guess Windows 10 has not yet matured into something, Intel and other display chip manufacturers want to write more than rock bottom basic drivers for?
(Or are most drivers supplied by Microsoft? That would explain a lot!)

I have never used Win 10 other than browsing for books at the library or checking machines in stores etc. Not the best locations for digging deep into the engine room.

Apparently from Vista onwards Windows itself no longer supports oversize desktops and panning.

However, it's been a long time since I've seen a device with a lower vertical resolution than 768 pixels (which is still painfully low in my opinion) so it may well be that when you come to buy a new device you have more screen space than your old one and the problem is reduced.

Windows 10 is a hugely popular and mature operating system and all the graphics providers - nVidia, AMD and Intel - updated their drivers to support it long ago. You don't have to worry about only having a basic level of support.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back