Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panduit, Siemon, Hubbell, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobiledynamics

Technical User
Jun 4, 2008
US
I'm looking at what *brand* --- system of backend equip we are going to run with in the new office space. Love to hear your thoughts on the quality or diff. between the different brands like Hubbell, Panduit, Leviton, etc. We had systimax in our old office.

You are really asking "do you like Fords or Chevys" here and will come up with about the same type answers.

Systimax IMO is the best and of course will be the most expensive solution you can get. After that it will boil down to personal preference.

Something that i can give you is this. Regardless of what brand or brands you use, match the components. By this I mean if you are going with Cat 6, make sure all jacks, patch panels, cable, and patch cables are rated for at least Cat6. Then you will get what you paid for. Using any component less than the rating will result in less performance.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

I've worked with them all in my contracting days. It is a matter of preference, but there are some differences in both jacks and panels.

Panduit was good, but completely different in their approach to jack termination. Personally, I prefer the entire Hubbell line: jacks are standard, patch panels lay out well, and the management is sleek.

Best bet is to have a picture in your mind of what you want it to look like, find the solution that fits it, AND will let you keep it looking that way after a year of MAC work.

mk

One thing about the systimax - we had the patch panels with the integrated cable mgmt hooks built into the front. The physical ports by default seem to be too close together. When using patch cable with boots, they would bind.

Didn't have this problem with our Leviton Patch Panels that we had on another floor...

We don't use booted ended cables in the equipment rooms. It is (like yo said) a real pain the try to work on something. Now at the work station end it is a must. Not sure why they always try to get 12' out of a 10' patch cable?

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

You should look into the Leviton Essex solution. The faceplates match the electrical in most cases and you can buy a jack and face plate at your local Home Depot or Lowes in a pinch. I have been in the communications business for 35 years and all the products will meet the category requirment that you need.

Allan Goodson
Estimator
3D Datacom, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back