Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panasonic Toughbook 3G APN Issues Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHateXP

Technical User
May 28, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,

I am having an issue with a couple of Panasonic Toughbooks (CF-C1 and a CF-C19)

Both have built in 3G capability (No USB Dongles in sight)

The CF 19 uses the GOBI 1000 Driver and the CF 1 uses the GOBI 2000 Driver.

Now down to the issues

The laptops are clean built using WDS and the drivers are installed manually

The result is an APN Connection issue on the CF-C1 and Error in connection on the C19.

We have built the CF-C1 with a Windows 7 CD with no additional drivers and installed the GOBI 200 drivers with no issues

Differences noted

On the WDS Build there is a profile tab within the 3G connection properties that doesn't exist with the WDS Build once the drivers are loaded.

We have changed the APN settings through the properties tab on the bare CD build and looked in the registry to see if the APN settings are stored there, but unfortunately I can't find anything.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience of "hacking" APN settings or forcing APN settings to laptops via GPO or otherwise?

I do know that this points towards a build problem from the WDS Server, however rebuilding the entire corporation isn't an option (as yet) and the customer would be pretty p1553d :cool:

(APN Settings are the 3G settings for Network Name and Password in order to get on to the 3G Network)

As far as I have researched 3G is managed on Windows 7 by a built-in API

This doesn't sort the problem out and I am running out of ideas..

Cheers guys

IT Mobile Engineering Team Leader
MCP since 2000 (7 in total)
Compaq APS
IBM Certs
All Round Good Egg

Sorted

in effect it was a permissions issue found by running MS Baseline Analyser

IT Mobile Engineering Team Leader
MCP since 2000 (7 in total)
Compaq APS
IBM Certs